It's Sunday Funday at Studio Shim!
Who didn't eat a box of pasta to themselves at one point or another with that vibrant orange cheese sauce, who could forget! Now, our body has changed with in-tolerances & sensitivities. How could I enjoy the comfort of mac n' cheese without causing harm. Drum roll please.............
VEGAN MAC N' CHEESE Check out the video HERE
Inspired by Detoxinista.com Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 20 mins Total time: 40 mins
- 1½ cups raw cashews
- 3 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup water (may need to add a lil bit more)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ clove garlic
- pinch of turmeric
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. mustard (dijon or dill)
- 8 oz. pasta of choice
- freshly ground black pepper
- paprika, for garnish
- If you have a Vita-Mix, or other high-powered blender, making this sauce is incredibly easy. Simply throw the first ten ingredients into the blender, and blend until smooth and creamy!
- If you do not have a high-powered blender, don't worry-- you can easily use a food processor or blender to process the cashews first, until they are finely ground, or ideally, a nut-butter-like consistency. Once your cashews are thoroughly processed, add the rest of the ingredients and process until thick and smooth.
- At this time, you should check your pasta. Once it's cooked to your liking, drain and rinse it, then return the pasta to the pot.
- If you're adding any veggies this would be the time to do it. I highly recommend adding raw or roasted combination. We love kale, roasted brussel sprouts, carrots, peppers, tomatoes including sun dried too.
- Serve immediately while hot OR bake at 350F for 20 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes & enjoy!
TIPS & TRICKS
Picky eaters: Add hot peppers or other veggies into the sauce prior to blending. It's just a veggie packed cheese sauce in disguise :)
The next day: Enjoy cold or heat it up. Put the leftovers on a baking tray with parchment & place in oven or bbq until hot. It's ALL GOOD!
Leftover sauce: Add to the pasta to make it more cheesy the next day or use as a dip or spread. This goes well with the Buffalo cauliflower wings which will be posted this week!
Cook with love & it'll work out! If you need a hand, we're here :)
Shane & Kim, Studio Shim